I love caramel more than anything. Whether in cake, ice cream, processed in sweets or even on its own on a fresh roll … it can be used in so many ways. Yes, that’s precisely what makes me excited about it.
And not just me. You like this delicious cream at least as much. Otherwise, you would not have landed on my blog and are looking for the tastiest recipe.
How do you make caramel?
But caramel is not only a real all-rounder when it comes to using.
No … you can make it sweet or salty or – as in my recipe – refine it with a good shot of rum. In my opinion, this is the best option.
At least in the adult version. Anyone who cooks or bakes for children should, of course, for once forgo the “thump” in the cream or sauce. Because it tastes delicious even without alcohol, and it is sold to the kids as toffee. Because our caramel is now more and more often referred to in New German with the English term “toffee”. This is not correct at all.
What is the difference between toffee and caramel?
The difference is more in the form. Caramel toffees are initially a rather hard confectionery and are seldom mixed with cream. So the essential ingredients are mainly butter and sugar. It is more the solid caramel candies that we know from our childhood.
Caramel (or cream caramel), on the other hand, is the soft and cream that we have always known. The caramel sauce, which we like to run over ice cream, is a process in the delicious cake or even spread on our favourite cinnamon buns before we enjoy all these delicacies.
Salty caramel is delicious too.
By the way, if you want to prepare a salty version, that’s also very easy. Simply mix a teaspoon of sea salt into the cream, and you’ve turned sweet into the briny. Easy salted caramel, right?
Would you like to make caramel yourself from condensed milk?
There is, of course, a solution for this too. Can you conjure up a delicious toffee with just one ingredient? Okay … a lot of patience is also necessary ;-). But when you have that, you can just say later: I made my first caramel myself!
How easy is it? Just have a look at my post and convince yourself.
Here you can use the caramel recipe immediately:
How about the sweet Blueberry Love cake with eggnog and fresh blueberries, the delicious chocolate cake with malt beer for real men and easy to prepare or the small Nutella Cheesecake Tartelettes for those with a sweet tooth who can’t get enough of Nutella and cheesecake since childhood.
- 90 g of sugar
- 20 g butter
- 100 ml of cream
- One pinch of salt
- Optional vanilla, rum, etc.
For salty caramel:
- Optional one teaspoon sea salt for salted caramel
- Slowly heat the sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is golden brown. You shouldn’t stir the sugar when it warms up. Just let it brown slowly.
- IMPORTANT: The whole thing takes a little tact, but even if it goes wrong the first time, just try a second time.
- As soon as the sugar has a nice brown colour (HERE APPLIES: The darker the sugar, the more bitter the caramel afterwards), dissolve the butter in it and immediately add the cream. Now stir everything slowly to a mass.
4. But please be careful, because with the next step you should know that the cream foams well:
5. If the caramels contract quickly and do not immediately combine with the cream, be patient and stir the caramel until it dissolves again.
6. Now everything is boiled again while stirring. That’s it. The tastiest caramels of all time is ready!
7. IMPORTANT: Please only try when the caramels have cooled down because hot sugar is super hot and causes nasty burns on the skin (so do not reach into it) or on the tongue!
Also read: how to make peanut butter cookies